Wednesday, April 26, 2017

YouTube as a Teaching Tool

Let me first day that I'm the type of person that rolls my eyes at the mention of YouTube for kids. I've used plenty a YouTube videos to learn about a.home maintenance project, but I think of the endless hours of cartoons kids watch on their parent's phones and how these often have a hidden inappropriate joke embedded in the middle of the video by an older child. However, I know it's important to stay with the times for the sake of our student's engagement, so I want into watching the following videos created by a teacher for his classroom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYG_f-y8-BY
This video appeared to be the teacher's first YouTube attempt and he was a tad more novice. It was filmed in his home and the quality of the video was poor. It was more like a lecture he would give in class. He was upbeat and had a nice disposition, but there was no reason this could not have been executed in class otherwise. I could see it would be useful to have so students could review for a test or watch over and over again as needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evo5sgWIBTA
The longer video on the 10 Amendements was extremely well done. The teacher had obviously been inspired to engage students.  Fun props, high quality crisp video image, pneumonia devices, hand symbols, and varied tone, all made this a video impossible not to watch, listen, and learn. Even the teacher's hairdo was more fun and his jokes were well-placed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epuwfzEJ4PU
This was a 30 second video on the amendments and this time the teacher added a bold backdrop. This stepped it up a notch and the brief time period was sure to work for even the shortest of short attention span.
I think all of these videos were useful for reinforcing content and exam review. I will definitely consider doing my own videos to support what I do inside the classroom and for students to access outside of school.

2 comments:

  1. I like the casualness of the first video – esp. the dog barking. I think the video role models that anyone can make a video – it does not have to be polished – and that is OK. Some teachers may think they don’t have the talent etc. but all you need is an idea and a camera.

    Plus it paint teachers as "real people" outside the classroom and the students would enjoy not it is so silly.

    I also like how he teaches the content with ease and grace and in ways students can remember.

    I hope you make some videos – even before you become a teacher – start now.

    He has a great youtube video on how to learn to make an iMovie in one class period.

    Check it out – I think you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you checked out any of the videos by Mr. D (the 4th grade teacher that we talked about in class who gave his students a prank spelling test for April Fools day) or Special Books by Special Kids (this man used to be a teacher but now he goes around the country, interviewing kids with special needs and asking them questions that I think we all need to hear the answers to)?

    They're both amazing examples of how I believe we should be teaching our students - with humor and compassion, wrapped in one. Special Books by Special Kids is definitely something that can be shown to students, maybe in advisory, to teach acceptance of those who may be different than we are. Mr. D's videos are more for teachers and how he uses humor in his classroom but the students really seem to engage with him. I would suggest looking into both of them.

    http://www.specialbooksbyspecialkids.org

    http://www.mrjoedombrowski.com/

    ReplyDelete